Staff Engineers at Uber have a deep impact across a wide variety of business and technology decisions spanning multiple projects and locations. They are passionate and pragmatic technologists who are able to design scalable systems while delivering efficient code. They are not only collaborative role models, but also approachable thought leaders within a larger group. They are humble teachers, technically mentoring a team of talented engineers while also executing on delivering uniquely challenging projects. We are looking for someone with a passion for architecting, building and scaling highly-available, mission-critical systems that support millions of users on a daily basis.
This is a unique opportunity for an experienced engineer who is collaborative, has a healthy sense of curiosity and acts with responsibility to join Uber, work with talented people across the board and help improve our next generation infrastructure systems, scaling it to the next level.
As a Staff Engineer on the Marketplace Platform org, you’ll build Uber’s API Life Cycle Management Platform ( ), a highly-available and scalable self-serve gateway to configure, manage, and monitor APIs of every business domain at Uber.
What you’ll do
As a Staff Engineer on the Marketplace Platform Team, you’ll provide technical leadership in building Uber’s API Gateway & Uber’s Real-Time Push Messaging infrastructure that powers all of the Uber products, that directly impacts millions of lives each day.
- Build vision – Take ownership of a vaguely defined business problem, see the big picture, and identify strategically important problems, inefficiencies, or opportunities for meaningful improvements. Drive alignment on how to tackle and deliver highly leverage-able solutions at the group and organization levels.
- Demonstrate tech expertise – Demonstrate technical skills to go very deep or broad in solving classes of problems or creating broadly leverage-able solutions.
- Execute large scale projects – Provide technical leadership in architecting and building mission-critical distributed systems. Subdivide the work into monthly/quarterly sprints and compartmentalize across functions or teams and ensure everyone knows how they fit in.
- Collaborate across teams – Collaborate with others to deliver a result, from hardworking team members within your group, through smart technologists across product lines, to responsible leaders across Uber.
- Coach engineers – Be a role model on acting with good judgment and responsibility. Be a humble mentor and trusted advisor for both your team members and the broader set of passionate leaders alike. Deal with a difference in opinions in a mature and fair way, helping teams to commit and move forward
- Raise the bar – Up the bar on sustainable engineering by improving standard methodologies, producing best-in-class code, documentation, testing, and monitoring
What you’ll need
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent experience.
- 15+ years of experience in building large scale distributed systems in a high caliber environment.
- You have a proven record of building and productionizing highly reliable infrastructure at scale.
- Ability to assess new technologies and make pragmatic choices that help guide us towards a long-term vision.
- Aptitude to independently learn new technologies.
- You have phenomenal interpersonal skills, deep technical ability, and a portfolio of successful execution.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write detailed technical design documents.
- Customer obsessed and have a product attitude.
- You can collaborate well with product engineering teams to articulate requirements and system design.
- Contributed to the broader technical community through tech talks, publications, open source projects or other ways.
- Deep, industry leading expertise in one or more technology domains.
- Built large scale projects with stream processing and batch processing.
- Experience in building Gateways and API management engines.
About the team
Marketplace Platform Organization at Uber is responsible for building highly extensible and reliable platform that powers real-time global scale shopping and logistics systems, building and managing the Life Cycle Management of API Gateways for all the Uber Mobile App Integrations, External API integrations, and streaming data integrations with backend services.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing .