Discovery, Inc. is a global leader in real life entertainment, serving a passionate audience of super-fans around the world with content that inspires, informs and entertains. Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year and has category leadership across deeply loved content genres around the world.
Available in 230 countries and territories and 50 languages, Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year and has category leadership across deeply loved content genres around the world, reaching over 3 Billion viewers on all screens including TV, Digital and Mobile.
Discovery is a platform innovator evolving to become a direct-to-consumer leader to reaching viewers across all screens through TV Everywhere products such as the GO portfolio of apps and Discovery Kids Play; direct-to-consumer streaming services such as Eurosport Player and Motor Trend OnDemand; and digital-first and social content from Spoon University and Genius Kitchenas well as Group Nine Media, which is home to brands including The Dodo, NowThis, Thrillist and Seeker. Discovery’s portfolio of premium brands includes Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Travel Channel, Turbo/Velocity, Animal Planet, and Science Channel, as well as OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network in the U.S., Discovery Kids in Latin America, and Eurosport, the leading provider of locally relevant, premium sports and Home of the Olympic Games across Europe.
Discovery also has a strong portfolio of free-to-air channels across Europe making it a leading broadcaster in a number of countries, including Norway, Sweden, Italy, Poland, Germany and the UK. As a purpose-driven company, we are dedicated to not only entertaining but inspiring.
For 30 years we have told stories that entertain, inspire and enlighten our viewers around the world, about the world. But our work doesn’t stop there. We are committed to making the world a better place by leveraging our market-leading global platform, and by extending the reach and influence of like-minded organizations and causes. We also are dedicated to employee volunteerism across the globe.
Discovery Networks International is the World’s #1 non-fiction media company reaching more than 1.5 billion cumulative subscribers in 210 countries and territories. Discovery is dedicated to satisfying curiosity through 130-plus worldwide television networks, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet and Eurosport, the leading pan regional sports entertainment destination across Europe and Asia-Pacific. Discovery is also a leading provider of educational products and services to schools and owns and operates a diversified portfolio of digital media services.
We are looking for top Engineering talent, whose deep technical expertise and problem-solving skills are matched only by their passion for design and user experience. Our team builds the user experiences for OTT applications on WebM, Android, iOS, FireTV, and tvOS. If you delight in delivering high quality, fast, and efficient mobile, web, and connected device applications to millions of customers, then this is the role for you.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct 2 Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing, to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks including Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport and Discovery Play. This growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring Senior Software Development Engineers to join our team in London. The successful candidates will have a track record of building multiple, high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your approach and work will be exemplary, and you will have a proven background in driving best practices and setting standards for your team. You are a key influencer in your team’s strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative leader who encourages fellow Engineers and other team members to be more productive, by sharing your knowledge and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other Engineers.
- You are experienced and capable of playing a leading role to design and develop major functional changes to existing software systems, or new ones, involving yourself and other Engineers
- You make good decisions and exercise accurate judgement when choosing to build new vs extending existing ones
- You provide guidance on design, coding, and operational best practices, and have a track-record of applying these best practices to software that you have worked on
- You propose and proactively seek to establish best practices where none exist
- You make high impact decisions driving, what and how software is built
- You analyze requirements, study software architectures and designs to make decisions suiting the requirements. You are often right, and you are persuasive in delivering your suggestions and ideas to your team
- You mentor junior Engineers, overseeing their designs, code quality, and integration into a team. Your success is judged as much on your own productivity as on the positive impact you have on Engineers around you
- You communicate through data, dates and facts, applying them as appropriate to motivate and inspire
- You are comfortable with scrum agile methodologies, adapting best engineering practices by showing people, not just telling people
- You are equally passionate about code testability as you are for writing methodical, readable code.
- Proficient in Java 8, including use of Futures and Streams
- You are proficient in Reactive programming, asynchronous, non-blocking backend engineering languages like Java, Go, Node JS, etc. Also familiar with Akka, Playframework, writing highly scalable engineering backend services and messaging services like Kafka, SQS and others.
- Experience with one or more of: PostgreSQL and MySQL, Caching solutions (such as Redis and Guava), Search engine technology(preferablyElasticSearch)
- Knowledge of, and professional experience withmost AWS services, and deeper knowledge of EC2, S3, Kinesis, CloudFront and CloudWatch
- Usage and deep understanding of Docker and Kubernetes