Job Title Senior Platform Operations Engineer
This role requires you to work on Linux systems and their associated services which provide the capability for IG to run their trading platform. Team responsibilities include daily troubleshooting and resolution of incidents, operational maintenance, and support for proactive and preventative analysis of Production and Development systems.
1. Managing the Linux Infrastructure and web technologies
i. Patching and upgrades of Redhat Linux OS and server firmware.
ii. General Redhat Linux system administration and networking.
iii. Troubleshooting and Issue Resolution of OS and network stack incidents.
iv. Configurations management using puppet and version control.
v. Systems monitoring and availability.
vi. Web applications and application routing.
vii. Web-site infrastructure, content delivery, and security.
2. Day to day responsibilities will include: Completing service requests, responding to Incidents and Problems as they arise as well as providing day to day support and troubleshooting for Production and Development systems.
3. Create a run book of operational processes and follow a support matrix of products.
4. Ensuring Internal Handovers are completed, and all OS documentation is updated.
5. Troubleshoot system issues, plan for future capacity, and monitor systems performance.
6. Proactive monitoring of the Linux platform and ownership of these tools/dashboards.
7. Work with the delivery and engineering teams to develop the platform and technologies, striving to automate where possible.
8. Continuously improve the team, tools, and processes, support regular agile releases of applications and architectural improvements.
9. The role includes participating in a team Rota to provide out-of-hours support.
Ability / Expertise
This position is suited to an engineer with at least 4 years of Redhat Linux / Centos Systems Administration experience that is looking to broaden their range of technologies and work using modern tools and techniques.
We are looking for someone with the right attitude: –
- Eager to learn new technologies, tools, and techniques alongside applying their existing skills and judgment.
- Pragmatic approach to balancing different work priorities such as incidents, requests and
Page Break troubleshooting.
- Can do/Proactive in improving the environments around them.
- Sets the desired goal and the plans to achieve it.
- Proud of their achievements and keen to improve further.
This will be a busy role in a team so the successful candidate’s behaviors will need to strongly align with our values:
- Champion the client: customer service is a passion, cultivates trust, has clarity and communicates well, works with pace and momentum
- Lead the way: innovative and resilient, strong learning agility and curiosity
- Love what we do: Conscientiousness – has high self-discipline, carefulness, thoroughness, and organization, Flexible and adaptable
The successful candidate will be able to relate to the statements above and give examples that back them up. We believe that previous achievements signpost a good fit at IG.
- At least 4 years’ Systems Administration experience with Redhat Enterprise Linux / Centos 5/6/7 managed through a Satellite infrastructure.
- Managed an estate of 1000+ hosts and performed general system administration, networking, backup, and restore monitoring and troubleshooting functions on that estate.
- 1 Years of experience with scripting languages (bash/Perl/Ruby) and automating tasks with Puppet and Redhat Satellite. Experience with custom RPM generation.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills. You will have resolved complex systems issues in your last role and have a solid understanding of the tools needed to do so.
- Excellent Communication (Listening, speaking, the transmission of concepts with/without examples, etc).
- Calm under pressure and work to tight deadlines. You will have brought critical production systems back to life.
We are looking for a bright, driven, flexible, self-starting, enthusiastic team-player who will be willing and able to help colleagues; articulate communication skills; operationally conscious and flexible to changing priorities and requirements. Responsible and motivated.
- Experience supporting enterprise architectures and multi-tiered applications, web architectures, and websites.
- Experience with messaging solutions and products (eg IBM MQ, Active MQ, Rabbit MQ, etc)
- Experience with git/svn and CI/CD environments.
- Experience with SSSD/Kerberos/Centrify or similar access control tools.
- Familiarity of hardware from vendors such as HP, Dell, Cisco, F5 configurations.
- Experience with VMWare virtualization and Netapp storage appliances.
- Experience with Nagios/Openview/Check_MK monitoring products.
Number of openings 1