Rider Data Platform team is a relatively new team tasked with shaping up the future architecture of Uber’s Rider Data Stack. We are a bunch of engineers passionate about helping Uber grow by focusing our energy on building the next gen data platform to provide insights to the global Rider data in the most optimal manner. This would be instrumental in identifying gaps in the current implementation as well as formulating the key strategies for overall Rider experience.
Senior Engineering Manager role at Uber is a unique leadership role, leaders at this level represent the top 10% at Uber and will have a profound impact on a wide variety of technology teams spanning multiple focus areas. We are looking for an experienced leader who possesses top class leadership experience in building and scaling high performing teams who are responsible for mission-critical, reliable services. You will typically manage through leaders, and build critical cross-functional collaboration with key stakeholders and product management. You will be responsible for the business critical impacts delivered.
What you’ll need
- BS degree in Computer Science or related engineering field. Masters/Ph.D. preferred.
- Experience building innovative and complex software for at least 15+ years.
- You have great interpersonal skills, deep technical ability, and a portfolio of successful execution. If you enjoy discussing anything from ML, to data pipelines, to ontologies, to graphs, to data center topology and you measure the success of your projects in “nines,” then we want you on the team.
- Engineering excellence : You have at least 3 years of industry experience in a variety of contexts, during which you’ve built scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant systems. You have a solid knowledge of the whole web stack: front-end, back-end, databases, cache layer, Networking, Linux, CPU architecture, etc.
- Bias for action: You believe that speed and quality aren’t mutually exclusive. You’ve shown good judgement about shipping as fast as possible while still making sure that products are built in a sustainable, responsible way – and you’re comfortable making mistakes, provided you learn from them.
- Mentorship/ Guidance: You know that the most important part of your job is setting the team up for success. Through mentoring, teaching, and reviewing, you help other engineers make sound architectural decisions, improve their code quality, and get out of their comfort zone.
- Commitment: You care tremendously about keeping the Uber experience consistent for users and strive to make any issues invisible to riders. You hold yourself personally accountable, jumping in and taking ownership of problems that might not even be in your team’s scope.
- Hiring know-how: You’re a thoughtful interviewer who constantly raises the bar for excellence. You believe that what seems amazing one day becomes the norm the next day, and that each new hire should significantly improve the team.
- Design and business vision: You help your team understand requirements beyond the written word and you thrive in an environment where you can uncover subtle details.. Even in the absence of a PM or a designer, you show great attention to the design and product aspect of anything your team ships
- Management experience running backend team(s) at scale.
- Hands-on software development experience. Code shouldn’t scare you.
- Strong experience in Design and Architecture for large scale systems.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.