This Role will be responsible for building batch Query Service from scratch. This query service enables users to query peta bytes scale of data residing in big data lake. We use Big Data platforms available at Uber and collaborate closely with teams within and outside Uber (open source community)!
What You’ll Do
- Build a scalable, reliable, operable and performant Big data analytics platform for engineers and operations folks.
- Work alongside the pioneers of big data systems like Hive, Yarn, Spark to build out a highly reliable Batch Query service for bulk data analytics needs and Machine Learning applications.
- Hack on open source analytical SQL engine to provide access to 100s of PB of data.
- Become proficient of multi-tenancy, resource isolation, abuse prevention, self-serve debuggability aspects of a high performant, large scale, service while building these capabilities for Uber’s engineers and operation folks.
About the Team
We are responsible for building out the required reliable/scalable data platforms that serves petabytes of data. We heavily use Kafka, Flink, Hadoop, Hive, Spark etc. to build distributed systems required to serve data to the rest of the company.
What the Candidate Will Need / Bonus Points
- 3+ years of proven experience in building large scale products, distributed systems in a high caliber environment.
- Big data: Experience with Distributed systems such as Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Kafka is helpful.
- Architecture: Knowledge of data structures and an eye for architecture. You can discuss the tradeoff between architectural choices, both on a theoretical level and on an applied level.
- Strong coding/debugging abilities: You have sophisticated knowledge of at least one programming language, and are happy to learn more. Our core languages are Java, Python, and Scala.
- Data pipeline: Strong understanding in SQL, Database. Experience in building data pipelines is a great plus. Love getting into the details with the data implementing custom ETLs to craft it into information.
- A great teammate: You believe that you can achieve more on a team that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others’ candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and eye for business: You understand requirements beyond the written word. Whether you’re working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of customers, your attention to details leads to a delightful user experience.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.