The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Department for International Trade roles (DIT)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Note: All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the complete online application form including the employment and educational details, motivational segment and the competency based questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please note that due to Covid-19 outbreak, the start date of employment mentioned in the advert is tentative, subject to normal business of British High Commission. All recruitment campaigns will remain open for applications, we will progress the recruitment process as swiftly as possible and continue to review all applications, monitor progress and developments. We will be in touch with you for the interviews/ should there be further updates on the application, however given the circumstances, kindly expect some delay in response and please reach out to [email protected] if you have any further questions.
Main purpose of the job:
We are looking for a dynamic, high-calibre colleague who will help further strengthen the UK-India FDI relationship. India is currently the third largest investor in the UK. We need a colleague who will work towards retaining this top slot and play his/her part in the development of our strategy for the next few years.
Your role will be to contribute to the Western region team on Inward Investment:
- To promote the UK as the preferred inward investment destination for Indian companies in Western India
- Key account manage our Tier I Premier existing investors, managing the Prioritisation List of important Indian businesses
- Encourage high economic value investments including through research and development
- Coordinate with the DIT Senior Management Team and HQ on important visits, helping the development of policy
You will be the face of the British Government for Inward Investment, in the Western Region of India, maintaining key relationships with Indian businesses (with a particular focus on business, professional and financial services), HNIs to encourage thought-leaders and key decision-makers in India to be ambassadors for FDI into the UK. You will develop and deliver a strong pipeline of current and future investment wins and support the wider DIT India effort across a range of corporate objectives. You will be supported with opportunities to get the right learning and development, career development and opportunities to travel. You will join a high-performing, diverse team of supportive colleagues.
Roles and responsibilities:
- To promote the UK as the best investment destination for potential and existing Indian investors and to work with them to help them set up and further operations in the UK.
- To ensure that annual investment targets for the region are met and that a healthy pipeline of future investment projects is developed. You will be responsible for delivery against some challenging targets within priority sectors.
- To quickly build solid links to, and work in partnership with Indian industry associations and the UK Government’s investment partners as well as stakeholders in the UK (London and Partners, Local Enterprise Partnerships etc.) to ensure investors are provided with a seamless end-to-end service which consistently leads to investment successes in the UK
- To quickly pick up and deliver against the Department for International Trade (DIT) strategic investment priorities in the Western India region. To support the DIT senior leadership team in refreshing these priorities based on feedback.
- To support wider British Government trade, investment and prosperity in work in Western India, in particular through high level visits.
Learning and development opportunities:
There will be opportunity to attend relevant FDI trainings.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Language: English, Hindi and Marathi
- Level of language required: Excellent spoken and written English and Hindi , spoken Marathi is desirable
Graduate/post graduate. Candidates without the required educational qualifications but with exceptional practical experience will be considered.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant commercial/business experience.
- An Understanding of the Financial Services sector in India is desirable.
- An in-depth understanding of Foreign Direct Investment and a strong business network in the region
- Strong analytical and business skills to search out significant opportunities for investment into the UK market
- Good understanding of Indian businesses in Western India
- Excellent interpersonal, and team working skills
- Ability to influence, lobby and articulate key messages
- Experience of dealing with senior level decision makers of Indian companies. You will need to show a solid track record of dealing with senior level decision makers in the business world with minimal supervision
- Marketing and presentational skills
Seeing the Big Picture, Collaborating and Partnering, Achieving Commercial Outcomes, Delivering at Pace
Application deadline Application deadline – day Application deadline – month Application deadline – year
13 October 2020
Type of Position
Working hours per week
South Asia & Afghanistan
Type of Post
British Deputy High Commission
Number of vacancies
Starting monthly salary (INR)
INR 103,256 plus a 12% provident fund and 6% Superannuation fund
Start Date Start Date – day Start Date – month Start Date – year
15 November 2020
Other benefits and conditions of employment
The starting salary will be INR 103,256 plus a 12% provident fund and 6% Superannuation Fund per month.
BHC offers great benefits package that includes annual domiciliary medical cover, plus a Group Hospitalisation Scheme with Rs 500,000 floater cover for your immediate family.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
Around half of our work force is women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment. This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.
Please note applications without (a) and (b) will not be considered.
a) Complete the Online Application Form
b) Complete the motivation segment in the Online Application Form and the competency questions.
Internal candidates applying for this position need to upload the appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable). They should also inform their current line managers, else the application will not be considered.
We will accept only online applications by ”13th October 2020” midnight (IST).
Please note that all the applicants will be required to strictly adhere to the security guidelines for British High Commission.
Please Note :
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
- The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, educational and professional.
- We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office