JD Version Date
Senior Clinical Trainer- (Doctor)
NUMBER OF POSITIONS
PROGRAM(S) / DEPARTMENT(S):
Strengthening institutional capacity for sustainable delivery of quality post-partum family planning (PPFP) and post abortion family planning (PAFP) methods in Karnataka and Maharashtra-KARMA Project
Clinical Training Specialist-cum-State Project Coordinator, Maharashtra
Clinical Trainer (Nurse)
EngenderHealth s vision is a world where sexual and reproductive health rights are respected as human rights, and women and girls have the freedom to reach their full potential. This emphasis on rights directly underpins EngenderHealth s values and principles: choice, quality, and excellence. To achieve transformational change leading to true social and economic progress, EngenderHealth partners with diverse organizations across sectors with the shared goals of highlighting women s value to sustainable development.
The primary project strategy is to provide technical assistance (TA) to the states of Maharashtra to strengthen clinical capacity of service delivery points within the public health system, particularly at, district hospitals, and sub district health centers with a high delivery caseload (75+ per month). The wider approach would be to strengthen institutional capacity for sustainable delivery of quality post-partum family planning (PPFP) and post abortion family planning (PAFP) methods, with a focus on expansion of method mix and integration with broader maternal, newborn and child health program initiatives of the State governments in Karnataka and Maharashtra. This will be achieved by building the capacity of service providers on PPFP, with a special focus on providing quality PPIUCD/PAIUCD services, resulting in increasing the availability and accessibility of quality PPFP services in selected high-priority districts. The duration of the project is from November 2017 to October 2020 and in selected 20 districts of Maharashtra.
The Clinical Trainer (Doctor) will travel to project selected facilities and provide training of IUD and other new methods introduced by GoI to service providers (doctors, nurses and ANMs). They will also provide training follow-up and individualized support to the providers. They will be responsible for improving quality of family planning service delivery in the selected facilities. Each Doctor will be responsible for approximately 6-8 facilities of that assigned territory. S/he will be responsible for coordinating with divisional/district level government offices, timely implementation of the project s activities in the assigned cluster as per work plan; for documentation, analysis, and reporting the results.
The Clinical Trainer (Doctor) will supervise and mentor nurses. S/he will coach and regularly assess their performance to ensure training quality and implementation of the project activities.
RESPONSIBILITIES * Prepare monthly work plans in consultation with supervisor and share it at the end of the month with supervisors.
- Conduct structured competency based clinical training on IUCD, PPIUCD and PAIUCD, and other contraceptives such as injectable and OCP and infection prevention for providers (doctors, nurses and ANMs) at selected government health facilities.
- Conduct post training follow-up of the trained service providers to provide onsite individualized mentoring support to reinforce skills learned at the initial training.
- Conduct regular supportive supervision visits to facilities to identify gaps in family planning service delivery and to rectify them with the help of staff and health officials at facility, taluka/block, district and divisional level to improve the quality.
- Coordinate and organize trainings for Training of District Trainers, Training of providers on counselling, training of Data entry operators and training of staff on logistics management.
- Facilitate collection of data at baseline and at periodic intervals and help collating, analyzing and interpreting the data collected. Help facility staff make decision for quality improvement based on the data
- Conduct orientation for ASHAs and other outreach workers to enhance their skills in counseling for FP services. Mentor and Support them at their workplace to improve their skills.
- Liaise with district health officials Joint directors, Chief Medical Officers, District Program Managers, and Block Program Managers; District Health Society; Block health officials – Medical Officer In Charges and other staff at facility; other stakeholders to create supportive environment for the project.
- The Clinical Trainer (Doctor) will supervise and mentor nurses. S/he will coach and regularly assess their performance to ensure training quality and implementation of the project activities.
- Document project activities, prepare monthly progress reports for their assigned area, prepare presentations for review meetings organized by EngenderHealth/ government and provide input for the quarterly and annual project s reports.
- Represent organization at block/taluka, district, divisional and state level in review meetings organized by block, district and divisional health authorities or the organization.
- Keep up to date on technical approaches and programmatic priorities through self-study
- Any other task assigned by the supervisor from time to time.
REQUIREMENTS: * Minimum qualification MBBS with Indian/ state medical council registration with experience of working in family planning/maternal health/Sexual and reproductive health.
- Experience of clinical work in FP clinics, Labor room.
- Registered medical practitioners trained for abortion services as per MTP rules 2003 are desirable.
- One years or more years of experience of working on programme of family planning, reproductive health/SRHR, and/or quality assurance of health facilities is preferable. Experience of working with international NGOs, NGOs, district administration, public health facilities will be an advantage.
- Experience in facilitating training is desirable.
ESSENTIAL SOFT SKILLS: * Strong communication, facilitation, liaison, and motivation skills
- Good training skills
- Good organisational skills with the ability to plan and execute a number of overlapping activities
- Good time management and prioritisation skills with the ability to plan to meet tight deadlines without compromising standards.
- Positive attitude and flexible approach to working; able to re-organise tasks as appropriate in response to changing demands.
- Able to communicate clearly and professionally with a wide range of people informal and formal presentation skills.
PREFERRED SKILLS, ABILITIES AND FUNCTIONS: * Good knowledge of reproductive health; family planning, particularly IUCD and newer contraceptives introduced by Government of India
- Good knowledge on quality improvement and quality assurance of health services
- Experience of working with international NGOs, NGOs, district administration, and public health facilities will be an advantage.
- Willingness to travel to peripheral Government health facilities up to 75% of time
- Conversant in local knowledge is desirable (Marathi)
- Ability to collect data; expertise in compilation; analysis of data and writing reports; capacity to work confidently with computerised datasets
- Computer skills – MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Internet Explorer