The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Residence and Support Staff)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Note : All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the complete online application form including the employment and educational details, motivational segment and the competency based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the application forms only for all the required details. Forms that are incomplete in any respect will not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.
Please note that due to Covid-19 outbreak, the start date of employment mentioned in the advert is tentative, subject to normal business of British High Commission. All recruitment campaigns will remain open for applications, we will progress the recruitment process as swiftly as possible and continue to review all applications, monitor progress and developments. We will be in touch with you for the interviews/ should there be further updates on the application, however given the circumstances, kindly expect some delay in response and please reach out to if you have any further questions.
Main purpose of job:
Accountable for daily kitchen operations at The High Commissioner’s residence.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing cooking tasks.
- Managing all food related functions.
- Personally handling complete kitchen area consistently.
- Ensure hygiene and presentation standards.
- Area of responsibility shall comprise; breakfast, lunch, dinner, afternoon tea, reception cocktail snacks, buffet, pre-plated meals, silver service etc.
- Maintaining professional relations with the cooking material suppliers for delivery of items such as raw meat, poultry, sea food, vegetables, fruits, spices, cleanliness equipment etc.
- To maintain up-to-date shopping ledger, cost of meals & submit to Residence Manager
- Develops and implements procedures for purchasing and receiving area.
- Must be able to cope with pressure of work during peak season of visiting guests & large functions
- Working hours are flexible and to be maintained according to events at the Residence
- Adaptable and flexible to changing food and cooking trends.
- Supervises and coordinates activities for temporary helpers engaged in food preparation and wrapping up.
- Knows and strictly follow’s organization’s safety standards.
- Maintains quality of raw food preservation, cooked food preventability and left over food preservation for future use within its shelf life.
- Determining food presentation and creating decorative and tempting food display.
- To maintain and furnish inventory of available raw material in kitchen as well deep freeze (uncooked and cooked).
- Should ensure handover of kitchen is in a presentable manner with all equipment cleaned and staged after usage.
- Shelfs, drawers, cupboards, refrigerators, deep freezers with their respective items are aesthetically arranged after completion of meal cooking.
- Ensure primary usage of the inward grown vegetables from the Residence garden.
- Liaise with the Head Gardener to seed majorly utilized vegetables during season at the Residence vegetable garden.
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect and cooperation among team members.
- Ensure organization’s policies are followed fairly and consistently.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
- Ordering with the respective supplier for raw material, equipment etc
- Prepare food cost ledger of items ordered
- Prepare meal cost
Language: ENGLISH (understandable knowledge of English language in listening and reading)
Level of language required: Understandable
If the job is suitable for flexible working patterns, please provide details:
There are busy and high demand periods when there are 3-4 events in a day OR a late night with a dinner followed by breakfast the following morning at 0800. On an average, 20-25 events in a month.
Candidate must be able to cope with periods of high pressure and may have to work official holidays and Sundays. Organization pays O.T. for official duty additional hours.
Within a team of two Chefs at the Residence, it is expected to manage daily events between the two. Although you can get in more cooks to help during large event.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
Essential on arrival:
- Experience in Continental cuisine with minimum 6-8 years of experience
- Knowledge and experience in baking Desserts, bread, cookies, patisseries
- Eye for detail in identifying exemplifying quality of raw material (raw meat items etc)
- Must be prepared for a trade test as part of the section criterion
- Showcase skills of cooking experience
- Teamwork skill and attention to detail
- Familiarization in menu for canapé’s
- Recycle for the compost purpose
Changing and Improving, Delivering Value for Money, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Application deadline Application deadline – day Application deadline – month Application deadline – year
15 October 2020
Type of Position
Working hours per week
Duration of Post
South Asia & Afghanistan
Type of Post
British High Commission
Number of vacancies
Starting monthly salary (INR)
INR 33,534 per month plus 12% provident fund and 6% Special Allowance
Start Date Start Date – day Start Date – month Start Date – year
15 December 2020
Other benefits and conditions of employment
BHC candidates, the Local BHC Terms & Conditions will apply.
For other than BHC candidates, Basic Salary will be INR 33,534 per month plus 12% provident fund and 6% Special Allowance.
Additionally the BHC offers a great benefits package that includes annual domiciliary medical cover, plus a Group Hospitalisation Scheme with INR 500,000 floater cover for your immediate family.
No relocation or any other related costs or assistance will be provided. Notional tax will be deducted if you are not liable to pay local tax.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
Around half of our work forces are women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment.
This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCDO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.
Please note applications without (a) and (b) will not be considered.
A. Complete the Online Application Form
B. Complete the Motivation and Competency Segment in the Online Application Form
Internal candidates applying for this position need to upload their appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable) and also inform their current line managers, else the applications will not be considered.
We will accept only online applications by 15th October 2020 – 23:55 IST.
Please note that all the applicants will be required to strictly adhere to the security guidelines for British High Commission
Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, medical, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office