J’Kaylin “JK” Dobbins doesn’t score the notoriety of his Ravens backfield mate, quarterback Lamar Jackson, nonetheless the Baltimore rookie runner has began to show the abilities that made him a excessive-upside 2d-round grab.
Thanks in piece to injuries, Dobbins has played an essential role within the Ravens’ turnaround. After seeing single-digit carries in his first six profession video games, Dobbins closed the season averaging 5.97 yards per carry with 651 yards rushing and seven touchdowns in Baltimore’s final nine video games. His rookie season culminated in a 160-yard, two-touchdown performance towards the Bengals in Week 17 and he seems to be primed for a playoff breakout.
On paper, it ought to not be gorgeous that Dobbins can play within the NFL. He effect a range of files at Ohio Utter, a college stuffed with running back historical previous, and even forward of that, he modified into once an athletic attempting out star in his days playing excessive college soccer in Texas.
MORE: How Ravens’ Lamar Jackson received his MVP groove back for the NFL playoffs
Atmosphere files at Ohio Utter
It be laborious to sum up Dobbins’ profession with the Buckeyes in fair one or two numbers, so let’s plug along with a listing, thru knowledgeable Ohio Utter statistics.
- accomplished his freshman season with 1,403 yards, an Ohio Utter freshman story
- is the first Ohio Utter player to ecplise 1,000 rushing yards as a freshman, sophomore and junior
- turned the first player in college historical previous to top 2,000 rushing yards in a season, finishing with 2,003 in 2019
- ranks as Ohio Utter’s 2d all-time main rusher (4,459) within the back of easiest two-time Heisman Trophy winner Archie Griffin (5,589)
- averaged 106.2 yards per game over his profession and he totaled 5,104 all-motive yards, with every figures ranking 2d in college historical previous
That rather powerful shows you the design dominant Dobbins modified into once at Ohio Utter. Even at a historical college that is churned out a range of proficient running backs, Dobbins modified into once about as fair true because it will get.
And to cap all of it off, Dobbins modified into once at his ideal within the final four video games of his college profession towards four top-notch opponents (Penn Utter, Michigan, Wisconsin and Clemson). He ran for 157, 211, 172 and 174 yards in these four video games, respectively, totaling eight rushing touchdowns. It wasn’t on Dobbins that Clemson peaceful evolved previous Ohio Utter in 2019.
Blowing minds with Mix-model talents
Even forward of arriving in Columbus, Dobbins displayed freakish athleticism. He competed at Nike’s The Opening tournament in 2016 and recorded the ideal SPARQ win, which genuinely accounts for total soccer athleticism. In that tournament, forward of Dobbins modified into once even in college, he ran a 4.44-2d 40-yard scamper and vertical leaped 43.1 inches. Thanks to an ankle hurt, we did not score to eye Dobbins top these on the NFL Mix forward of the 2020 draft.
Dobbins’ coach at La Grane (Texas) High College once instructed Cleveland.com that Dobbins may per chance perchance’ve played Division I soccer at 15.
“In point of fact, as a sophomore at 15 years feeble, he’s going to luxuriate in played for 80 percent of Division I programs,” Matt Kates instructed Cleveland.com. “At 15 years feeble. There may per chance be shrimp doubt. That’s what’s crazy. Microscopic doubt.”
Dobbins did complete the bench press on the 2020 Mix, striking up 23 reps of 225 pounds, tied for fifth amongst running backs with eventual Packers different AJ Dillon.
Aligning with Lamar Jackson’s winning window
As long as the Ravens luxuriate in Jackson and a stable defense, they are going to luxuriate in no preference nonetheless to ogle themselves as Nice Bowl contenders. And in a bustle-heavy offense in which powerful of Jackson’s hold running comes off choices with a running back, the RB field may per chance be valuable for Baltimore to hoist the Lombardi Trophy.
In Dobbins, the Ravens stumbled on an on-the-upward push rusher to pair with Jackson for the forseeable future. Designate Ingram is on the noxious aspect of 30 and has battled injuries, whereas Gus Edwards fits in more of a backup role. Dobbins is the ethical excessive-upside fragment for Baltimore’s backfield.
On a rookie contract, Dobbins isn’t any longer going to tie down the Ravens’ wage cap when they inevitably extend Jackson for noteworthy money. That’ll give Baltimore no no longer up to some years with a top-notch, low-price running back to plug along with its star quarterback. With a team that likes to pound the rock, that is the correct recipe to gain a Nice Bowl.
Historic previous of Ohio Utter RBs in NFL
Because we’re touting Dobbins as the subsequent spacious thing to discontinuance out of Ohio Utter, it is good to eye at one of the precious most opposite stable running backs produced by the Buckeyes.
- Eddie George: 1996 Offensive Rookie of the twelve months; seven-time 1,000-yard rusher for Oilers/Titans
- Ezekiel Elliott: By 2019, a 3-time Expert-Bowler with three 1,000-plus yard rushing seasons for Cowboys
- Tom Matte: Two-time Expert Bowler; 45 profession rushing touchdowns for Ravens
- Robert Smith: Two-time Expert Bowler; four-time 1,000-yard rusher for Vikings
- John Brockington: 1971 Offensive Rookie of the twelve months; rushed for 1,000-plus yards first three seasons with Packers
- Pete Johnson: Ran for double-digit touchdowns in a season four times as a Bengals/Dolphins/Chargers fullback
- Archie Griffin: By no methodology reached his two-time Heisman heights within the pros; profession-excessive 688 rushing yards in 1979 for Bengals
- Carlos Hyde: Had first 1,000-yard rushing season for Texans in 2019
- Beanie Wells: Ran for 1,047 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2011 for Cardinals